Southern Star Central Gas Pipeline is a leading transporter of natural gas to America’s heartland, that has provided quality service since our formation in 1904. At Southern Star our people are our greatest asset with growth and personal development being at the forefront of our focus. We’re committed to building a culture where everyone has the opportunity to do meaningful work and be recognized for their efforts.
Southern Star is a family-friendly, forward thinking, customer oriented company that strives for innovation and collaboration in all parts of our business where you can slip on your jeans and work in an atmosphere that values trust, learning, teamwork, and having fun while getting the job done. We’re an established company that’s known as an employer of choice where we do business. We’re known for our safety, credibility and integrity where our word is still our bond. We’re in need of one more talented individual like yourself, that drives change and creates positive outcomes. We are confident that you will find the perfect match here to drive your goals.
In return for this level of talent and experience, Southern Star offers excellent medical benefits, competitive salary, 401k match, paid time off and tuition/fitness reimbursements.
This position reports to the Manager, Region Operations and is responsible for the daily operations and maintenance of pipeline and compressor facilities for an assigned work location(s). This position will be responsible for overall leadership, implementation of strategies, management oversight, performance of employees, and achievement of goals and strategies for the assigned work location.
The employee will be physically out on the job with assigned operations employees, which include operators, welders, heavy equipment specialists, and operations administrators. The majority of time will be spent leading and interacting with and providing daily work direction to these employees; ensuring adherence to safety practices and corporate policies, procedures, and contractual requirements; ensuring alignment with corporate direction, vision, mission, principles, strategies and goals; working with direct reports to improve processes and efficiencies; overseeing operations, maintenance, inspection, and testing criteria and construction jobs; identifying and recommending educational needs; ensuring all compliance requirements are met; and, improving procedures and work methods to better ensure operational safety, reliability, and efficiency.
Leader is expected to set the standard for leadership within the organization, including but not limited to ensuring 100% compliance in the department’s operations and maintenance areas; modeling the level of commitment and dedication expected through an unsurpassed work ethic; exhibiting unquestioned integrity; ensuring effective employee development through teaching, mentoring, coaching, correcting, recognizing, rewarding, and disciplining; championing change; advocating managed risk; supporting creativity and innovation; communicating effectively; providing employees the support and resources necessary for the successful attainment of the Company’s vision, mission, strategies, and goals; being personally accountable and holding employees accountable; valuing teams and being an engaged, productive team member; identifying needs and responding to them by taking proactive, rather than reactive measures; acting in a manner that inspires trust and trusting others in return; and, be committed to life-long learning.
• Be personally accountable for performance of employees in reporting area and achievement of area’s goals and strategies, teach employees in area to be likewise personally accountable.
• Demonstrate organization’s leadership skills and traits as outlined below
• Serve as role model for Company’s Guiding Principles and actively and vocally exhibit behaviors which champion its Vision and Mission and align with its direction
• Engage in regular, consistent performance management, including coaching, teaching, appraising, and mentoring
• Oversee, promote and direct safe, cost efficient, compliant, reliable operations and maintenance of assigned locations/facilities
• File and review required reports in timely, accurate manner
• Assist with development of Region’s operational budget, manage local budget effectively
• Provide hands-on supervision for employees, including planning, assigning, and directing work, recommending promotion/progression, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining, addressing complaints and resolving problems
• Provide input into system operating plan, including personnel requirements, material needs, subcontract requirements, facility needs, and tooling and equipment needs
• Direct resolution of operational issues to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays
• Help teach and ensure direct reports are aware of and comply with Company, government, and customer policies, procedures, and regulations, including Collective Bargaining Agreement
• Maintain confidentiality of sensitive, confidential, proprietary, private information
• Develop, monitor, measure, communicate, and report on location-specific goals and strategies aligned with Company goals
• Engage in consistent, effective communications with employees, peers, coworkers, customers, and third parties
• Engage in continuous process improvement and expense reduction
• Effectively develop employees to work independently and as fully engaged departments and teams
• Creatively and constructively manage conflict and appropriately address and resolve employee disputes
• Set priorities and allocate resources to successfully manage diverse projects
• Develop positive, partnering relationships with customers in area and local governmental representatives
• Associate Degree or 2-year certificate of completion from accredited institution or trade school or equivalent work experience
• Valid driver’s license and insurability
• Experience analyzing data and preparing compliance reports, statements, and projections
• Experience communicating data and concepts in a manner understandable to a wide range of individuals from diverse backgrounds
• Experience working in both a scheduled/structured and unscheduled/unstructured, deadline-driven environment
• Ability to teach area of expertise one-on-one and in small groups
• Ability to effectively manage costs within an overall budget structure
• Intermediate level computer skills in Microsoft Office Excel and Outlook, basic level skills with PowerPoint and Word
• Ability to understand, interpret and apply applicable local, state and federal regulations and reporting requirements (i.e., DOT/PHMSA, OSHA, etc.)
• Experience in a leadership position (including serving as a nonprofit board leader, coach, etc.)
• Bachelor’s degree
• Operations experience with high-pressure pipeline systems
• Knowledge of operations, maintenance and construction practices relating to pipeline operations
• Knowledge of Company’s Operations & Maintenance manual
• Aptitude toward mechanics, construction
• Knowledge of natural gas transmission industry
• Experience understanding, interpreting, and applying applicable local, state, and federal regulations and reporting requirements